Discover the top things to do in Whites Sands National Monument. Explore the stunning, pristine white sand dunes of White Sands, New Mexico.
Plan your visit to Whites Sands, New Mexico
White Sands National Monument remains closed due to COVID-19. Plan now for when it begins to reopen. Check for the latest Coronavirus updates here.
Here is our list of top things to do in White Sands National Park, New Mexico.
Top things to do in White Sands National Monument
- Stop at the White Sands Visitor Center and information desk, explore the museum and watch an orientation video about the park. If you are travelling with children, pick up a Junior Ranger Adventure Pack from the visitor center.
- Take the 16-mile, round trip scenic drive. The drive will take about 45 mins without stops and begins from the visitor centre. There are plenty of opportunities along the drive to pullout to explore, take photos and learn about the park at the interpretive exhibits.
- Visit the native plant garden. Here is your guide to the garden.
- Take a hike through the unique landscape of the dunes on one of five trails.
- Picnic in the park at one of the three picnic areas along Dunes Drive. If you bring a blanket and have an umbrella for shade, pick your own special spot. Remember to “leave no trace” of the picnic behind.
- Join a ranger program. Check at the visitor centre for the daily program schedule.
- Take an hour-long sunset walk with a park ranger. Tours leave an hour before sunset. Here is the schedule.
- Go sledding down the gypsum dunes. Sleds can be purchased from the visitor centre.
- Look for animal tracks in the sand.
Learn more about the top things to on some of the most scenic roads in North America. Remember to subscribe so you won’t miss the next article. Get the latest travel tips and learn about destinations from near and far or ask a question.
Discover other destinations.
View more photo galleries.