Hop aboard one of the vintage passenger cars of the White Pass and Yukon Railway and take one of the most scenic rail trips in the world.
The White Pass and Yukon Railway is a designated International Historic Civil Engineering Landmark. It shares this significant recognition with the Statue of Liberty, Panama Canal and the Eiffel Tower.
There are several excursions available. The most popular one is the White Pass Summit Excursion.
Looking for more adventures while in Alaska? Check out our Alaska Cruise Guide , discover top things to do in Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan.
Video – Travel the rails on the White Pass and Yukon Railway
Don’t miss riding the rails of the White Pass and Yukon Railway in Skagway, Alaska. The scenery is spectacular.
White Pass Summit Excursion most scenic rail trips in the world
The White Pass Summit excursion is a 40-mile round trip rail experience that takes 2.5-2.75 hours. The journey takes you from Skagway, Alaska to the White Pass in the Yukon.
The train winds its way up to the 2,888 foot White Pass summit. It chugs, bends, squeaks and creaks as it journeys over incredibly high wooden trestles.
The route continues past Bridal Veil Falls, Dead Horse Gulch and Inspiration Point.
You will see the most spectacular scenery of glacier-capped mountains, waterfalls, tunnels, steep narrow valleys, rivers, lakes and historic landmarks.
The ever-changing landscape varies depending on the season, moving from spring through fall.
What’s the best way to experience White Pass & Yukon Route Railway?
The best way to experience this scenic area would be to take the train one way, and then the bus back to Skagway, or do the route in reverse.
The Carcross and Fraser train service crosses the International border into Yukon, Canada and details are still being worked on.
If you are a hiker, and have the time, there is a full day round trip service offered.
Skagway train excursion historic landmarks
A highlight of the trip is seeing the narrow, world-famous Klondike Trail of ’98. Thousands of eager prospectors walked this historic path, hoping to fulfill their dreams striking it rich with a big gold find.
Can you imagine making your way along this narrow trail with a full pack?
How do you make reservations on the White Pass train?
If you arrive in Skagway by cruise ship, book a shore excursion with your cruise line. The train will pick you up right at the dock.
If you are traveling with children make sure you are charged the correct amount for your tickets. Children under 3 are free and ages 3-12 are half price.
Reservations for the famous White Pass and Yukon Rail can also be booked online, or in Skagway directly from the train station.
This popular rail trip books up fast and can be sold out.
Find out more about White Pass and Yukon Railway Excursions here.
Fast Facts about the historic White Pass and Yukon Rail Route
- Construction of the railroad began May 28, 1898.
- It took 450 tons of explosives to blast a path through mountain rock.
- The first 20 miles of the route from Skagway, Alaska climbs nearly 3,000 feet from sea level.
- During construction, up to 2,000 men worked on the project. About thirty-five men lost their lives during the project.
- The train ran on steam until 1954.
- After the gold rush, the train mostly carried a variety of ores until the crash of the metals market in 1982, when mines closed.
- In 1988, the railway reopened as a tourist attraction.
- Read more about the history of the White Pass and Yukon Railway.
Find out more about cruising in Eastern Canada and New England.
Explore things to do in Skagway, Alaska.
Looking for more incredible adventures of a lifetime? Here are a few articles to help start planning your trip:
– Road Trip – Top things to do driving from Victoria to Pacific Rim National Park
– Top 10 scenic drives in Canada that will leave you in awe
– Explore the Sea-to-Sky Highway, one of the most scenic drives in North America
– Road Trip: Best route from Tucson to Santa Fe, New Mexico
– BC Travel Guide: 21-day road trip Part 2 – Vancouver, Jasper, Banff and Okanagan wine country
– Top 10 things to see and do in Victoria, BC – a city guide
Discover other destinations.
View more photo galleries.
This excursion 8s closed for 2022 season as of May 2022.
Hi Doreen, The White Pass and Yukon Railway is in operation for the 2022 season. This article is about the White Pass Summit round trip route. There are a couple of other rail trips not operating at the moment. One goes to Bennett in the Yukon and the other goes to Carcross, also in the Yukon due to COVID restrictions at the Canada/USA border. The rail company and the Canadian government are trying to work through the issues of making it possible at a later date. Thanks for taking the time to read the article on my website. As a journalist, I make sure all information is accurate.