Discover Edinburgh Castle top things to do. The castle is part of Edinburgh’s UNESCO World Heritage site.
Edinburgh Castle is one of the most well-known historic sites in Scotland. You could spend more than a full day here, but it is still worth a visit if you only have an hour or two.
The famous castle sits high on Castle Rock in Old Town, at the top of The Royal Mile. Its location provides the most incredible views of Edinburgh below.
Palace Holyroodhouse sits at the opposite end of The Royal Mile.
Leading up to the castle is a number of shops selling tartans, wonderful scarves and other souvenirs, along with a variety of places to eat.
Complimentary guided tours and audio tours are available or you can follow the blue shields on the map provided with your entrance ticket to do your own self-guided tour.
Consider buying an Explorer Pass that will get you into Scotland’s top attractions, including many sites in Edinburgh. You can also buy a ‘skip the line’ ticket for Edinburgh Castle from a Hop-On Hop-Off tour bus. We bought our tickets on the bus.
Find out more about the top things to do in Edinburgh, Scotland.
Discover Edinburgh Castle Highlights
Stone of Destiny
St. Margaret’s Chapel
The Crown Jewels of Scotland
National War Museum
Panoramic views from Edinburgh Castle
The one o’clock gun
Fast Facts about Edinburgh Castle
- The Royal Palace has been home to many of the Scottish monarchs. Also Mary Queen of Scots gave birth to her son James Vl here in 1566.
- The Stone of Destiny will go to Westminster Abbey when there is a coronation ceremony for a new monarch.
- The Crown Jewels of Scotland consist of three items: a crown, a sceptre and sword.
- The castle has been used as a military base since the 1600s.
- The last king to live here was Charles I. He left the castle in 1633.
- Edinburgh Castle was built by David l in the 12th century.
- Castle Rock was formed after a volcanic eruption.
- St. Margaret’s Chapel is Edinburgh’s oldest building, built by David I about 1130.
Looking for more incredible adventures of a lifetime? Here are a few articles to help start planning your trip:
– Road Trip – Top things to do driving from Victoria to Pacific Rim National Park
– Top 10 scenic drives in Canada that will leave you in awe
– Explore the Sea-to-Sky Highway, one of the most scenic drives in North America
– Road Trip: Best route from Tucson to Santa Fe, New Mexico
– BC Travel Guide: 21-day road trip Part 2 – Vancouver, Jasper, Banff and Okanagan wine country
– Top 10 things to see and do in Victoria, BC – a city guide
– Discover More in Port Alberni: Your Guide to 21 Local Travel Adventures
Have you been here? Want to go or have other tips or comments. We'd love to hear from you.