Here is a handy collection of the best trip planning tools for Scotland. Find train, ferry and bus schedules, best driving and cycle routes, hiking trails and also some of the best walking routes in the world.
Best trip planning tools for Scotland
Train Schedules in Scotland:
Check schedules for Scotrail, National Rail, Traveline Scotland and the overnight Caledonia Sleeper.
The Traveline Scotland Journey Planner is a very useful tool.
Bus Schedules in Scotland
- National Bus Service for Scotland is available through City Link and is less expensive than the train. The Explore Scotland pass, available for 3, 5, and 8 days travel, offers flexibility for a better rate.
- Local Bus Service offered by Stagecoach serves cities and towns in Scotland. Use their timetable and maps to plan your schedule.
Ferry Schedules to/from Scotland
- StenaLine offers ferry service between Britain, Ireland, Scotland, Holland and France.
- Scotland to Ireland Ferry Service
- P&O Ferries offers ferry service to Britain, Ireland, Scotland, Holland, Belgium, France
Ferry service within Scotland only
Driving in Scotland:
Cycle Routes in Scotland
Search the National Cycle Network map for cycle routes in Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Individual maps for specific easy and challenging bike rides, as well as walking routes can be selected.
Hiking and walking trails in Scotland
If you plan to visit many historic attractions during your visit to Scotland, check out the Explorer’s Pass. The 3-day or 7-day pass provides admission to more than 70 historic attractions in Scotland. Holyrood Palace is not included in the pass, but fast track entry to Edinburgh Palace and Sterling Castle is.