The Steveston Spot Prawn Festival and Seafood Celebrations runs now through June 18, with lots of seafood-inspired activities, including fresh spot prawns brought into Fisherman’s Wharf daily, demonstrations from professional chefs on the Culinary Stage June 10 and 11, and locally caught seafood (by Steveston Fishers) featured on participating restaurant menus as part of Dine About.
Steveston Spot Prawn Festival
Spot prawns are available for sale now at Fisherman’s Wharf and sales start as early as 6 a.m. Bring a reusable bag to carry your catch home and note, most boats accept cash only. Boats at Fisherman’s Wharf selling spot prawns include, Black Heart, David, Prawns on the Spot and Steveston Spot Prawn and Seafood.
Read about Vancouver Spot Prawn offerings.
Watch the video of Steveston spot prawn fisherman Frank Keitsch about the dangerous life of a fisher and to learn about this highly coveted seafood.
Spot Prawn Recipes
Life’s Incredible Journey would like to inspire your inner-chef with these two delicious recipes.
Spot Prawn Ceviche by Chef Narain of Steveston Seafood House
1 lb spot prawns — raw and cleaned
½ red onion diced
1 cucumber diced
1 jalapeno diced (less or more depending on spice desired)
½ bunch cilantro finely chopped
1 ¼ cup of lime juice
Fresh juice from one lemon
¼ cup of Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
Crostini or crackers
- Combine the prawns with one cup of lime juice in a large bowl. Cover and let rest in the refrigerator for at least one hour — until the prawns are a pink-ish colour. Tip: cut the tails into smaller pieces before this step to ensure they “cook” evenly.
- In a separate bowl, combine the onion, cucumber, tomatoes, jalapeno and cilantro.
- Add the shrimp and lime juice and mix well.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce and season with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- Mix well and serve with crostini.
Spot Prawn & Cherry Gazpacho recipe by Chef Harris Sakalis of Globe@YVR, Fairmont Vancouver Airport
12 spot prawns
200g Morello cherry puree
¼ red onion
1 garlic clove
50ml extra virgin olive oil
20g red wine vinegar
2 avocados, sliced
1 tsp halloumi cheese
Fresh basil leaves
Jalapeno to taste
Salt to taste
- Slice halloumi cheese into thin slices and lay out on a tray lined with parchment paper. Place tray in a warm oven (180-F) for four hours or until completely dry. Blend the halloumi in a food processor until it becomes a fine powder.
- Roughly chop all the vegetables and puree in the blender with the other ingredients until smooth. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over medium/high heat. Once the water is boiling, place prawns into the water for about 30 seconds — until pink. Remove from water with ladle and set aside.
- Pour cherry gazpacho into a bowl and garnish with the lightly poached prawns, avocado, jalapeno, dehydrated halloumi powder, fresh basil leaves and drizzle with olive oil.
Steveston Spot Prawn and Seafood Celebrations Dine About Digital Passport
The Steveston Spot Prawn and Seafood Celebrations Dine About event takes place from June 1 to 18. Diners will receive $2 off each feature dish by using the Dine About Digital Passport at these 12 participating restaurants.
Richmond Dine About Restaurants
75 West Coast Grill – 7571 Westminster Highway
Smoked Sablefish ($36)
Blue Canoe Restaurant – 3866 Bayview Street #140
Poached Spot Prawns (Market Price)
with avocado and mango salsa
Britannia Brewing – 12240 Second Avenue #250
Smoked Garlic Butter Spot Prawn Skewers ($25)
with toasted focaccia
BRUNO Restaurant – 8499 Bridgeport Road
Spot Prawn Truffle Gnocchi ($40)
Cask Whisky Vault – 8400 West Road
Spot Prawn and Caviar Tartare ($28)
Catch Kitchen + Bar – 3866 Bayview Street #200
Sizzling Garlic Spot Prawns (Market Price)
Five Roads Brewing – 12251 No. 1 Rd #130
Prawn Tacos and Spotted Prawns (starting at $12)
Globe @ YVR – 3111 Grant McConachie Way (inside Fairmont Vancouver Airport)
Spot Prawn & Cherry Gazpacho (Market Price)
Chilled Cherry Gazpacho, Dehydrated Haloumi, Fresh Basil, Avocado
Little Mexico Cantina – 3131 Chatham St #150
Spot Prawn Ceviche ($20)
O’Hare Gastropub – 5031 Steveston Hwy
Crispy Cajun Spot Prawn Heads ($20)
Shady Island Seafood Bar & Grill – 3800 Bayview Street #112
Thai-style Yellow Curry Spot Prawns & Crab Legs Stir-fry ($45)
Steveston Seafood House – 3951 Moncton Street
Spot Prawn Ceviche ($20)
Subscribe below to be alerted to the next article as soon as it is published. We pride ourselves in writing informative articles with interesting facts. Please leave any comments, questions or suggestions below.
Looking for more adventures? Be sure to check out these articles to help start planning your next trip:
- The bizarre landscape of Goblin Valley a hidden gem in Utah.
- Top 10 scenic drives in Canada that will leave you in awe
- Explore the Sea-to-Sky Highway, one of the most scenic drives in North America
- BC Travel Guide: 21-day road trip Part 1 – Vancouver, Jasper, Banff and Okanagan wine country
- Road Trip: Best route from Tucson to Santa Fe, New Mexico
- Top 10 things to do in Olympic National Park
- Explore best ports of call Alaska Cruise Guide
Have you been here? Want to go or have other tips or comments. We'd love to hear from you.