Discover the enchanted Fairy Glen and its whimsical geological landscape. The Ferry Glen is located in the rolling hillside above Uig, on Scotland’s Isle of Skye.
The area looks as if it would make a wonderful home for magical faeries. No one really knows how the landscape formed. Our tour guide’s theory is that it had been a very old quarry, as everything in the area is built from the plentiful stone scattered everywhere on the Isle of Skye.
This hidden treasure of done-shaped hills includes a pond and a rock formation known as Castle Ewen.
Steven Spielberg found this area perfect for filming some of his feature movie BFG.
Getting to Fairy Glen:
- If you drive, parking is very limited and the roadway is very narrow making it difficult for cars to pass each other without careful manoeuvring.
- Take a shuttle bus from the village of Uig, but remember to reserve a seat.
- The Fairy Glen is a 30 minutes walk from Uig.
- Take a shuttle bus from Portree in the summer months operated by Go Skye.
- Go on a guided tour from Portree that includes the Fairy Glen.
- The Go Skye operators run tours from March to September to all the famous spots the Isle of Skye is known for: The Old Man of Storr, Kilt Rock, Lealt Falls, Quiraing, Uig Brewery, Uig Pottery and the Fairy Glen.
- Cruise ship shore excursion tours are also available from Go Skye
- Bring cash if you plan to eat lunch or buy anything from small stores or shops as many places do not accept credit cards.
- Wear good sturdy walking or hiking shoes to navigate uneven terrain, cobblestones, dirt and wooden floors.
- Make sure you have all-weather waterproof clothing and wear layers. Weather conditions can change suddenly and you should be prepared for rain and wind.
View photo galleries
Discover the best trip planning tools for Scotland.
Read about the Top 10 Things to do in Isle of Skye
Learn about life on the Isle of Sky.