Hop aboard one of the vintage passenger cars of the White Pass and Yukon Railway and take one of the most scenic rail trips in the world.
The White Pass and Yukon Railway is a designated International Historic Civil Engineering Landmark. It shares this significant recognition with the Statue of Liberty, Panama Canal and the Eiffel Tower.
There are several excursions available. The most popular one is the White Pass Summit Excursion.
White Pass Summit Excursion
The White Pass Summit excursion is a 40-mile round trip rail experience that takes 2.5 – 2.75 hours. The journey takes you from Skagway to White Pass.
The train winds its way up to the 2,888 foot White Pass summit. It chugs, bends, squeaks and creaks as it makes its way over incredibly high wooden trestles. The route continues past Bridal Veil Falls, Dead Horse Gulch and Inspiration Point. You will see the most spectacular scenery of glacier-capped mountains, waterfalls, tunnels, steep narrow valleys, rivers, lakes and historic landmarks.
A highlight of the trip is seeing the narrow, world-famous Klondike Trail of ’98. Thousands of eager prospectors walked this path, hoping to fulfill their dreams striking it rich with a big gold find.
If you arrive in Skagway by cruise ship, book a shore excursion with your cruise line. The train will pick you up right at the dock. If you are traveling with children make sure you are charged the correct amount for your tickets. Children under 3 are free and ages 3-12 are half price.
- Construction of the railroad began May 28, 1898.
- It took 450 tons of explosives to blast a path through mountain rock.
- The first 20 miles of the route from Skagway, Alaska climbs nearly 3,000 feet from sea level.
- During construction, up to 2,000 men worked on the project. About thirty-five men lost their lives during the project.
- The train ran on steam until 1954.
- After the gold rush, the train mostly carried a variety of ores until the crash of the metals market in 1982, when mines closed.
- In 1988, the railway reopened as a tourist attraction.
- Read more about the history of the White Pass and Yukon Railway.
Find out more about White Pass and Yukon Railway Excursions here.
Find out more about cruising in Eastern Canada and New England.
Explore things to do in Skagway, Alaska.
Discover other destinations.
View more photo galleries.