Discover Holyrood Palace and Its rich history of famous Scottish Royals, like Bonnie Prince Charlie and Mary Queen of Scots.
Palace of Holyroodhouse sits at the opposite end of The Royal Mile from Edinburgh Castle.
Her Majesty the Queen and her family stay at Holyrood while visiting Edinburgh. Official engagements occur here, including the annual lunch for the highest order of chivalry in Scotland, the Knights and Ladies of the Order of the Thistle. Be sure to check the official website for closures. Holyrood Palace closed for several days when we visited.
Discover the rich history of famous Scottish Royals at Holyrood Palace. Plan your visit to majestic Holyroodhouse Palace in Edinburgh, Scotland. Photo Credit – Royal Collection Trust / © Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II 2018
Plan the visit to Holyrood Palace
• Spend at least two hours here.
• The Palace offers a walk through history.
• The Palace Gardens are 4 hectares in size. The beautiful grounds are home to the Queen’s annual Garden Party held at the Palace every summer. A Garden History tour is available.
• The State Apartments include the throne room, morning drawing room, the grand King’s bedchamber, dining room, Mary, Queen of Scots’ bedchamber, her supper room and her outer chamber.
• The Queen’s Gallery has changing exhibitions. For more information and to book tickets visit the Royal Collection Trust
• Holyrood Abbey, built in the 12th century, displays impressive Gothic medieval architectural styles. The expansion of Holyroodhouse Palace shrank the Abbey to a quarter of its original size. In 1768 the roof collapsed after a storm. It was too costly to fix and only the Gothic nave survived. Tours of the abbey run every hour. View a video tour of Holyrood Abbey
There are two types of admission tickets available:
1. Palace of Holyroodhouse admission is £14.00 per adult. It includes the Palace, State Apartments, gardens and ruins of the 12th century Holyrood Abbey.
2. The Royal Visit ticket is £23.00 per adult. It includes the Palace, Garden History Tour and The Queen’s Gallery
Discover the best trip planning tools for Scotland
Discover Breathtaking Isle of Skye
Explore the enchanted Fairy Glen
Join our Travel Forum