BC spot prawns are a delicacy coveted by chefs around the world for its firm, tasty, delicate flavour.
Spot prawns live in the Pacific coast waters from San Diego up through Alaska. They are also found in the waters off of Japan and Korea.
When is BC spot prawn season?
The short BC spot prawn season lasts for about six to eight weeks, from the middle of May to the first weeks of June.
The 2021 spot prawn season opened on May 15 and ends June 21.
Best place to buy BC spot prawns
Check for the latest updates and save by buying direct from the fisherman. Find out more at BC Live Spot Prawns and Seafood
These delicious, delicately flavoured shrimp are the largest of the seven varieties found on the west coast.
Head down to Vancouver’s Fishermen’s Wharf or out to Steveston Wharf in Richmond to buy directly from the local fishing boats.
Fishing boats usually arrive between noon and 3 p.m., depending on the weather.
The day we bought our spot prawns at Vancouver’s Fishermen’s Wharf, Salty Stew’s boat arrived at 2:45 p.m.
Here are a few other locations to buy wild pacific spot prawns in other areas of BC.
How much are spot prawns?
BC spot prawns range in price from $18-$20 /lb. Many fishing boats only accept cash and some accept credit cards or debt.
Availability and pricing of spot prawns change depending on market fluctuations.
The daily catch sells out quickly. Arrive early, order online for pick up or delivery.
You can also buy fresh frozen spot prawns out of season.
How to cook spot prawns
Spot prawns can be prepared and served in many ways.
Quick and easy spot prawn recipe
This is the best way to cook spot prawns in less than five minutes. Do not overcook them.
This simple method is a quick and easy way to cook spot prawns to retain its delicate flavour and texture.
We allowed one pound of spot prawns per serving.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. We used 1/4 cup of salt for 5 pounds of prawns.
- Drop the live, unpeeled spotted prawns into the boiling water.
- Boil for two minutes.
- The translucent prawns will turn a darker pinky-orange colour.
- Remove from water
- Plunge immediately into a pot of ice cold water
- Serve with lemon and a large fresh green salad.
- Spot prawns are very easy to peel.
Best wine to serve with spot prawns
Our spot prawn feast paired nicely with a bottle of Riesling from Nk’Mip Cellars.
Nk’Mip is North America’s first Aboriginal owned and operated winery. The winery is located in Osoyoos in the Okanagan.
Spot Prawn Festival
The 2021 event was held virtually on May 29. The 2020 Spot Prawn Festival was completely cancelled due to COVID.
We hope 2022 will see the festival return in all its glory. To find out more about the festival and see recipes from the chefs, learn more here.
If you are planning a trip to explore some of the most incredible spots in BC, don’t miss our suggestions for experiences to last a lifetime below. Please leave any comments, questions or suggestions below and remember to subscribe so you will see the next update. Get the latest travel tips and learn about destinations from near and far.
– Road Trip – Top things to do driving from Victoria to Pacific Rim National Park
– Discover 15 of the best waterfalls in British Columbia
– Discover some of the best prehistoric rock carvings found in BC
– BC Travel Guide: 21-day road trip Part 1 – Vancouver, Jasper, Banff and Okanagan wine country
– BC Travel Guide: 21-day road trip Part 2 – Vancouver, Jasper, Banff and Okanagan wine country
– Top 10 things to see and do in Victoria, BC – a city guide